We know it as “burnout”, but it’s more than likely to be adrenal exhaustion and it can occur in varying degrees of severity. When burnout is severe, its effects are devastating for the individual and often for family and close associates. The main complaint you’ll feel that initially identifies burnout is overwhelming fatigue upon waking after eight to ten hours of sleep or even after a short nap. In short, you’re exhausted.
Adrenal exhaustion is a condition that occurs when the adrenal glands, which produce hormones that regulate stress response, become fatigued and unable to function properly. The condition can manifest in a variety of symptoms, some of which are listed below:
21 Signs You Might Be Burned Out
- Distaste for meat protein due to severely impaired digestion: Individuals with adrenal exhaustion may experience difficulty digesting and absorbing protein, leading to a distaste for meat.
- Craving for sweets due to a need for a quick energy source: Adrenal exhaustion can cause a decrease in blood sugar levels, leading to a craving for sweets or other quick sources of energy.
- Lowered resistance to disease and/or chronic infections due to an impaired immune response: The adrenal glands play a critical role in regulating the immune system, and individuals with adrenal exhaustion may experience a weakened immune response.
- Changes in appetite, often alternating between a ravenous appetite and no appetite at all: Adrenal exhaustion can cause fluctuations in appetite, leading to periods of intense hunger followed by periods of no appetite at all.
- Symptoms of hypoglycemia and/or diabetes due to decreased or increased glucocorticoid activity, respectively: The adrenal glands produce hormones that regulate blood sugar levels, and adrenal exhaustion can lead to a decrease or increase in these hormones, resulting in symptoms of hypoglycemia or diabetes.
- Low blood pressure. Infrequently, a fast oxidizer will experience high blood pressure: Adrenal exhaustion can cause fluctuations in blood pressure, leading to low or high blood pressure in some individuals.
- Fluctuation in weight, due to excessive protein breakdown and increased fat deposition: Adrenal exhaustion can lead to changes in metabolism, resulting in fluctuations in weight.
- Inability to adequately cope with daily life stresses: Individuals with adrenal exhaustion may find it difficult to cope with even minor stressors.
- Reduced work performance: Adrenal exhaustion can lead to a decrease in cognitive function and productivity, resulting in reduced work performance.
- Loss of initiative and a sense of hopelessness: Individuals with adrenal exhaustion may experience a loss of motivation and a sense of hopelessness.
- Disinterest in sex, due to an excessive fight-or-flight response: Adrenal exhaustion can cause an excessive fight-or-flight response, leading to a decrease in sex drive.
- With worsening burnout, disinterest in all aspects of one’s life: As burnout worsens, individuals may experience disinterest in all aspects of their life.
- Mental depression that can lead to despair and suicidal thoughts: Adrenal exhaustion can lead to mental health issues such as depression, which can lead to suicidal thoughts.
- Fears, phobias, agoraphobia and/or anxiety, due to an excessive fight-or-flight response: The excessive fight-or-flight response associated with burnout can also lead to fears, phobias, agoraphobia, and anxiety.
- Disinterest in one’s appearance: Individuals with adrenal exhaustion may lose interest in their appearance and personal hygiene.
- Psychological withdrawal, due to an excessive fight-or-flight response: Adrenal exhaustion can cause individuals to withdraw psychologically from their environment.
- Feeling that one’s life is empty and lacks purpose: As adrenal exhaustion worsens, individuals may experience a sense of emptiness and lack of purpose in their life.
- Inability to concentrate or ‘spaciness’: Burnout can also cause difficulty with concentration and focus, leading to feelings of spaciness or mental fog. This can make it challenging to complete tasks or remember important details, and can contribute to further feelings of frustration and overwhelm.
- Attraction to stimulants, leading to a wide variety of addictions: When the body is depleted and fatigued, it’s common to crave stimulants such as caffeine, sugar, and nicotine to provide a quick burst of energy. However, relying on these substances can lead to a cycle of addiction and further depletion of the adrenal glands, worsening the overall condition.
- In children: hyperactivity, behavioral disorders, attention deficit and failure to thrive syndrome in severe cases: While burnout is often associated with adults, children and adolescents can also experience burnout. This can manifest as hyperactivity, behavioral problems, attention deficit, and failure to thrive in severe cases. It’s important for parents and caregivers to be aware of these signs and seek support from healthcare professionals.
- In teenagers: delinquency, drugs, alcoholism and suicidal thoughts: Finally, severe adrenal exhaustion can have serious consequences for teenagers, leading to delinquency, drug and alcohol abuse, and even suicidal thoughts. It’s critical for parents and caregivers to recognize the signs of burnout in teenagers and seek help from healthcare professionals to address the underlying issues and provide support.
Adrenal exhaustion or burnout is a serious condition that can impact every aspect of a person’s life, from their physical health to their emotional well-being. While it’s often associated with high-stress occupations, anyone can experience burnout, and it’s important to be aware of the signs and take steps to address them.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of burnout, it’s important to seek support from a healthcare professional and make lifestyle changes to support your body’s recovery. This might include reducing stress, getting enough sleep, eating a balanced diet, and engaging in regular exercise and self-care activities.
By taking care of your body and mind, you can embark on your journey to recover from burnout and regain a sense of vitality and well-being. With time and effort, it’s possible to overcome burnout and live a fulfilling and healthy life.
Find out more about the REVEAL Programs that can support you without drugs, fads or trends.